Monday 24 August 2015

Podcasting

Well, here I am back form my holidays and ready to catch up with the Rudai 23 course. Podcasting is not something I would be overly familiar with in my day to day work activities and it is probably something that is probably not hugely relevant to me for my current position.

I could see their potential however as a learning resource/educational tool for teaching staff, in terms of introducing new ideas to students, interviewing persons of interest and as a way of kick starting the thinking process about new innovative ideas.

Rather than create my own podcast, I have listened to some of the podcasts mentioned in the module including "Circulating Ideas" and "Longform".  The "Circulating Ideas" podcast was interesting in getting an American perspective on all things Library related.  Podcast that would be of particular interest to me would cover topics such as Library Marketing, Social Media for libraries.  One name that I have heard mentioned is Ned Potter, a guru in Library marketing, social media etc.  I will definitely be checking to see if he has a podcast.

One other interesting use of podcasts, for a library point of view is the use of them at conferences.  Again there is great potential here for getting feedback on presentations, from delegates and sharing them online!

I am currently developing a space for my Business and Humanities students on their VLE environment, Blackboard.  Although, it is only at the developmental stages, podcasting is something that I will keep in mind, for further down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    One way that you could think about incorporating podcasts into Blackboard is as a mechanism for giving overall feedback to the class after an assessment or activity. I've done it in the past, where I record a short audio clip of myself talking about the things that went well and the things that need improving, based on what I saw during the activity. As long as you keep it general and don't name any names, your students might find it to be an interesting way to get feedback. I use Moodle at work, which is a lot like Blackboard, and uploading audio files to that for feedback is very simple. I'd imagine Blackboard can do that too.

    Wayne

    The Rudai23Team

    ReplyDelete